It has been awhile since I did a scheduling update and as more and more teams begin putting out their non-conference and full season schedules, I thought it would be a good time to give an update on where we are at tracking LIU Brooklyn men’s basketball games for the 2013-14 season.
Let’s review what we know. We already know that St. Peter’s and Lamar are coming to Brooklyn to complete the two-year home and home series LIU had with these teams. We also know about the game against Temple at the Barclays Center on Saturday, December 21 which will be likely be the second game of the Brooklyn Hoops Holiday Invitational.
Here is the latest updates:
– LIU hasn’t yet completed their ’13-’14 non-conference schedule as they are still looking for at least one more opponent to play them just after the start of the new year.
– As was reported by John Templon (@nybuckets) of Big Apple Buckets a couple of weeks ago, LIU will be playing NJIT this season. I’ve heard that the game will be on the road in Newark and the game will take place likely sometime in mid-December.
– Thanks to Sacred Heart and Saint Francis University (PA) officially releasing their complete schedules, we know that LIU will face Sacred Heart just once in NEC play this season and that game will be on the road in Fairfield, CT on Thursday, February 13. LIU will take on St. Francis (PA) at home on Saturday, February 8 and will head to Loretto, PA for a game on Saturday, February 22. Usually, a game with SFPA is either proceeded or followed by a game with Robert Morris for travel reasons. Expect for a couple of possible Thursday night affairs with the Colonials to be on the LIU schedule after the two teams met once in an epic game at the formerly known as WRAC last season although don’t be surprised if one of those games gets moved to be showcased on either the NEC TV package or on ESPNU/ESPN3.
– Although Central Connecticut State have yet to officially announce their ’13-’14 schedule, most of their schedule is known. LIU will visit CCSU on Saturday, January 18 and will then host the Blue Devils on Thursday, February 27.
– Per Ron Ratner (@NECHoopsRon), Associate Commissioner of the NEC, we now know that the NEC tournament will start on Wednesday, March 5 for the NEC quarterfinals. The NEC semifinals will take place on Saturday, March 8 and the NEC Championship final will be on Tuesday, March 11.*
– LIU will not be playing St. John’s this upcoming season. The Red Storm released their non-conference schedule on Tuesday. This will be the third straight season LIU and St. John’s will not face one another. The Johnnies will take on NEC rival Wagner on November 15 and face local squads Fordham on December 7 at Madison Square Garden and Columbia on December 28 at the Barclays Center.
As we start heading into August and teams finish completing their non-conference schedules, I hope to have an weekly update available up until LIU Brooklyn officially releases their schedule which usually happens in either late August or early September.
* Correction – I had earlier posted that the NEC tournament dates were March 6, 9 & 12 as per the Sacred Heart men’s basketball schedule. Those dates are incorrect and the dates that, as tweeted to me by Ron Ratner, are the correct 2014 NEC tournament men’s basketball dates.